- Standardize means for defining ontologies that can be used on the Web.
- Builds on RDF Schema (classes and subclasses, properties and
- Extends these constructs to allow more complex relationships between
- limit the properties of classes with respect to number and type
- means to infer that items with various properties are members of a
- a well-defined model for property inheritance
- Input from the DAML+OIL work supported
by DARPA's DAML Initiative
- More metainformation, such as
- Transitive property
- Unique, Unambiguous, Cardinality, etc
- Ontology community exists- DL, OIL, SHOE, etc. etc.
- Huge extra usage for extra functionality
- Not Turing complete
Wide interoperability & interconversion